Interprofessional Teams™ Series
Learn Core Competencies for Interprofessional Collaborative Practice
Our Interprofessional Teams™ virtual clinical series is designed specifically for healthcare leaders, practicing nurses, and nursing students who are sharpening their communication and collaboration skills. In the first module, the learner meets Jenny, a 9-year-old who is struggling in the fourth grade; in subsequent modules, the learner will watch Jenny’s case study unfold and will address her physical and psychosocial issues over multiple decades in her life. The learner will act as the lead nurse who assesses Jenny and conducts a patient inquiry session, honing therapeutic communication techniques. After identifying the patient’s needs, the learner will select five interprofessional team members, based on their scope of practice, to further manage and evaluate the patient. Next, the learner will observe the group collaboration process, recognize challenges and barriers within the team, and the guide the conversation by making decisions that result in positive impacts on the team and, ultimately, patient-centered care.
The EMPOWER™ Debrief module is included in the subscription access to all virtual clinicals. The purpose of this debrief is to empower the learner with a guided process to reflect on the learning as a result of the simulated experience. Through this self-analysis, the learner will review his or her performance using an individualized summary report. This process will allow the learner to clarify misconceptions and sort through incorrect decisions.
Product Highlights for: Interprofessional Teams™ Series
- This product allows the learner, acting as the nurse, to interact with 14 other healthcare professionals as virtual characters including a physician, school nurse, optometrist, pharmacist, therapists and a registered dietician.
- As the learner makes decisions about communication skills and decisions to facilitate team collaborative processes, he or she receives immediate feedback with rationales for correct and incorrect answers.
- Each of the five modules begins with a pre-brief that allows the learner to demonstrate mastery of material related to values and ethics for interprofessional practice, roles and responsibilities of collaborating professionals, and addresses the competencies listed above.
- After the learner reviews patient data, he or she will be offered choices on how to conduct an inquiry that elicits the required information and promotes patient discussion.
- The learner chooses the best five-person team to care for the patient, then evaluates and analyzes each one of the clinical professional’s behaviors and responses in a group setting.
- Each module progresses in the same manner, but this virtual clinical is also an unfolding case study. The central patient, Jenny, evolves from a 9-year-old who is presenting symptoms of ADHD to a postpartum mother in the last level.
The Interprofessional Teams™ virtual clinical series aligns with NCLEX categories, QSEN Competencies, AACN BSN, MSN, and DNP Essentials, and Professional Competencies:
- NCLEX: Safe and Effective Care Environment: Management of Care; Psychosocial Integrity
- QSEN Competencies: Patient Centered Care and Teamwork and Collaboration
- AACN BSN Essentials:
- Essential II: Basic Organizational and Systems Leadership for Quality Care and Patient Safety
- Essential VI: Interprofessional Communication and Collaboration for Improving Patient Health Outcomes
- Essential VIII: Professionalism and Professional Values
- AACN MSN Essentials:
- Essential II: Organizational and Systems Leadership
- Essential VII: Interprofessional Collaboration for Improving Patient and Population Health Outcomes
- Essential IX: Master’s Level Nursing Practice
- AACN DNP Essentials:
- Essential VI: Interprofessional Collaboration for Improving Patient and Population Health Outcomes
- Interprofessional Collaborative Practice Core Competencies (2016)
- Competency 1: Values/Ethics for Interprofessional Practice
- Competency 2: Roles/Responsibilities
- Competency 3: Interprofessional Communication
- Competency 4: Teams and Teamwork
Learners can earn 5 simulated clinical hours
$39 per student/virtual clinical
$49 with optional EMPOWER™ Debrief exercise