Prioritization of Care Specialty Series
Build Confidence with Virtual Nurse Clinicals
In this safe, protected environment, learners practice vital tangible and intangible clinical judgment and decision-making skills that identify and prioritize patient care to select appropriate interventions. The learner selects appropriate interventions for ten patients within each module.
Learners record vital signs, interview patients and chart the observations and rationale in SBAR format. Each module in the series provides immediate remediation and conveys total correct responses to help students build decision-making confidence by working through progressively more difficult patient assessment and prioritization assignments. Students then prioritize patients for treatment and select and prioritize the interventions for each patient.
Ten Virtual Clinicals Focused on High Level Skills:
- Assessment: reviewing vitals and patient history, utilizing SBAR format chart observations, and deciding on level of care and appropriate department.
- Prioritization: developing the rationale and reasoning for the prioritization for groups of five patients.
- Intervention: leveraging EMR (electronic medical record) and additional patient information to prioritize six interventions.
Includes faculty guide, feedback and rationales, and a dashboard with evaluative report, as well as a learner dashboard.
Delegation and Management of Care – Proper and appropriate assignments facilitate quality care. Improper and inappropriate assignments can lead to poor quality of care, disappointing outcomes of care, the jeopardization of client safety, and even legal consequences.
Patient Centered Care integrates understanding of multiple dimensions of patient centered care: patient/family/community preferences, values coordination and care information, communication, and education.
AACN BSN Essentials
Essential IX: Baccalaureate Generalist Nursing Practice
Effective Clinical Activities:
- Reviewing patient data to identify the priority needs.
- Assigning patients into the appropriate levels of care.
- Validating patient prioritization with rationale.
- Interpreting the assessment findings in the EHR
- Completing documentation using SBAR format
- Developing decision making skills to categorize patients into the appropriate levels of care
- Applying clinical judgement to prioritize the order to treat patients
- Selecting appropriate nursing interventions to manage the plan of care
- Creating rationales for actions based on evidence-based practice standards